The Lion King was the must-see movie over the weekend, and at Spotify we’ve taken a look at how listeners are enjoying the film’s soundtrack – new and old. In the past week, we’ve seen almost a 50% increase in the listening of both the 2019 soundtrack, which came out July 11th, and the film’s original 1994 hit soundtrack.
Here’s what music, in particular, is resonating with our listeners, and where:
- The tracks streaming the most from The Lion King 2019 soundtrack are: “Can You Feel the Love Tonight,” “Circle of Life/Nants’ Ingonyama,” “Hakuna Matata,” “I Just Can’t Wait to Be King” and “The Lion Sleeps Tonight” (full list of top ten tracks are below).
- We sometimes see certain tracks stream on repeat after a big film premieres, a sign, perhaps, that listeners are turning to songs to relive moments of a film. The songs being played on repeat the most from the new Lion King soundtrack are “Can You Feel the Love Tonight” and “Circle of Life/Nants’ Ingonyama.”
- So who is listening to The Lion King soundtracks, new and old? Well, the age-group streaming the new soundtrack the most are 25-29 year-olds, who account for more than 30% of that soundtrack’s streams. By contrast, 18-24-year-old’s are listening to the 1994 soundtrack the most, accounting for about 28% of its listeners.
- The top countries for streaming the latest Lion King soundtrack are: US, UK, Australia, Brazil and the Netherlands.
The top-streaming songs from The Lion King 2019 soundtrack:
- “Can You Feel the Love Tonight” – Beyoncé, Billy Eichner, Donald Glover, Seth Rogen
- “Circle of Life/Nants’ Ingonyama” – Lebo M., Lindiwe Mkhize –
- “Hakuna Matata” – Billy Eichner, Donald Glover, JD McCrary, Seth Rogen
- “I Just Can’t Wait to Be King” – JD McCrary, John Oliver, Shahadi Wright Joseph
- “The Lion Sleeps Tonight” – Billy Eichner, Seth Rogen
- “He Lives in You” – Lebo M.
- “Be Prepared (2019)” – Chiwetel Ejiofor
- “Life’s Not Fair” – Hans Zimmer
- “Never Too Late” – Elton John
- “Rafiki’s Fireflies” – Hans Zimmer
The top-streamed songs of all time from The Lion King 1994 soundtrack:
- “I Just Can’t Wait to Be King” – Jason Weaver, Rowan Atkinson, Laura Williams
- “Hakuna Matata” – Nathan Lane, Ernie Sabella, Jason Weaver, Joseph Williams
- “Can You Feel the Love Tonight” – Joseph Williams, Sally Dworsky, Nathan Lane, Ernie Sabella, Kristle Edwards
- “Circle of Life” – Carmen Twillie, Lebo M.
- “Be Prepared” – Jeremy Irons, Whoopi Goldberg, Cheech Marin, Jim Cummings
- “Can You Feel the Love Tonight” – Elton John
- “This Land” – Hans Zimmer, Lebo M.
- “Under the Stars” – Hans Zimmer, Lebo M.
- “Circle of Life” – Elton John
- “King of Pride Rock” – Hans Zimmer, Lebo M.
Top-streaming tracks on Beyoncé’s album, The Lion King: The Gift:
- “MOOD 4 EVA” – Jay-Z, Childish Gambino
- “BROWN SKIN GIRL” – SAINt JHN, Wizkid, Blue Ivy Carter
- “SPIRIT” – From Disney’s “The Lion King”
- “ALREADY” – Shatta Wale, Major Lazer
- “FIND YOUR WAY BACK”
- “NILE” – Kendrick Lamar
- “JA ARA E” – Burna Boy
- “DON’T JEALOUS ME” – Tekno, Yemi Alade, Mr Eazi, Lord Afrixana
- “MY POWER” – Tierra Whack, Moonchild Sanelly, Nija, Busiswa, DJ Lag, Yemi Alade-
Top countries streaming The Lion King 2019 soundtrack the most over the past week:
Listen to Spotify’s Lion King playlist here.
In a nutshell, we are a bunch of opinionated writers that care about quality content. Our team is small, but it’s a team of people who really do care about what they do. Passionate and dedicated. Honest and respectful. Professional but informal. Quirky and personal.